The Mid-Atlantic Dray Truck Replacement Program
THE MID-ATLANTIC DRAY TRUCK REPLACEMENT PROGRAM IS NOW CLOSED. PLEASE SEE PORT PROGRAM LINKS BELOW FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION.
The Mid-Atlantic Region faces some of the most severe air quality problems in the nation. Ground transportation of goods is a significant source of emissions that cause smog and other harmful air pollutants linked to multiple health and environmental problems. The Environmental Finance Center has partnered with the Mid-Atlantic Regional Air Management Association (MARAMA) to implement the Mid-Atlantic Dray Truck Replacement Program. Funded by an U.S. Environmental Protection Agency SmartWay Innovative Finance grant, the program aimed to reduce air pollution and greenhouse gases associated with the transport of goods to and from the Ports of Baltimore, Philadelphia, Virginia, and Wilmington (DE). The program required older trucks to be scrapped and provided applicants up to $20,000 towards the purchase of a newer vehicle with an engine that meets or exceeds 2007 EPA emissions certified engine standards.
- Independent owner-operators as well as fleet owners may apply.
- Applicants must have owned their truck for at least one year, according to the date on the title, to be eligible.
- Eligible trucks must have a 2003 engine or older. Preference will be given to trucks with 1997 and older engines.
- Eligible trucks must be operational, street legal, and currently used to transport cargo to/from the Port of Baltimore, Port of Philadelphia, Port of Virginia, or Port of Wilmington, DE.
- Applicants must complete an application and provide copies of documentation (including TWIC card, DMV title, up-to-date registration, proof of insurance, and photograph of the truck submitted for replacement).
- Applicants must be in relatively good financial record and be preapproved for a loan before being accepted into the program. (Some financial circumstances will mean that some applicants will be unable to secure credit through this program.)
- New equipment (with a 2007 or newer engine) must be purchased from a list of preapproved truck dealers and old equipment scrapped only when advised to do so by program staff.
For applications and information regarding specific port programs, please click on the following links:
Click on the Port in your area for a listing of project partners.
Silver and Gold Sponsorships are available to small carriers, large carriers, shippers, terminals, ports, retailers, and non-profit organizations. Sponsors are also invited to submit trucks in their fleets for consideration in the program. Sponsors will be highlighted on program outreach materials. For more information on sponsorship opportunities, please download the sponsorship package or contact Susan Wierman at firstname.lastname@example.org or 443-901-1882.
Sponsors vary by Port. Click on the Port in your area for a listing of project sponsors.
♦ Power Over Pollution, Port of Baltimore Magazine, March/April 2014
♦ Solid Steps Towards Sustainability, Port of Baltimore Magazine, March/April 2013
♦ Out with the Old, In With the New, Port of Baltimore Magazine, July/August 2012
♦ Grants available for Mid-Atlantic port truck replacements, Land Line Now, July 26, 2012
♦ EPA Funds Available for Drayage Retrofits at Port of Baltimore, Transport Topics, February 7, 2012
♦ New Program to Improve Air Quality at Port of Baltimore, Press Release, January 31, 2012
♦ Clean Air Program Offers Cash to Get Old Trucks Off the Road, USA Today, November 15, 2011
♦ Dirty Trucks in Port Targeted, Baltimore Sun, July 17, 2011
♦ Mid-Atlantic States Float Plan to Dump Dirtiest Trucks, Fleet Owner Magazine, July 5, 2011
♦ Cleaner Short-Haul Trucks coming to U.S. Ports, Environmental News Service, June 28, 2011
♦ New Mid-Atlantic Program Helps to Improve Port Communities, Press Release, June 13, 2011
♦ East Coast Port Sets Grants to Purchase Newer Trucks, MARAMA Transport Topics, June 6, 2011
For more information, please contact Medessa Burian at email@example.com or 301-405-7371, or call the Truck Hotline at 301-405-3577.